Nancy and I
will leave Addis early Sunday morning and catch a flight up to Gondar. Our time
in Addis has been extraordinarily successful. In addition to meeting with the
Ethiopian Health Ministry’s director of Maternal and Child Health and at the
Ethiopian headquarters of Food for the Hungry, we also had a very positive
meeting on Friday morning with Dr. Getachew, the medical director of I-TECH (International
Training and Education Center for Health) Dr. Getachew put us in direct contact with Dr.
Shigau in the Bahir Dar office of the Health Ministry. Dr. Shigau invited us to
Bahir Dar next week to speak with him directly about SCOPE and our potential relationship
with the Ministry of Health in the Gondar region.
We also had
dinner on Friday with the director of HIV/AIDS at the Centers for Disease
Control/Ethiopia (name redacted.) The CDC gentleman was not so interested in
working with SCOPE for various reasons, and implied that while SCOPE’s mission
is laudatory, it might not be necessary because of declining HIV rates and the
success of government programs bringing women in for ANC (antenatal care.) This
attitude flies in the face of every Ethiopian health, academic and religious professional
we have interacted with. Hence, being the outspoken, opinionated woman I am, I
made it clear that he and I did not see eye-to-eye on either his statistical
analyses of ANC uptake in Ethiopia (the surveys are valid only in areas where
people actually access care and do not take into account that nearly ¾ of
Ethiopians live outside urban centers) or the utility of the SCOPE partnership
(he claims that the people most likely to be influenced by the priests are the
least likely to be exposed to HIV. Ahem . . . clearly he doesn’t have a very
deep understanding of how this culture works re: the ubiquity of religion,
regardless one’s lifestyle.) Anyway, despite our ‘lively’ conversation, the
dinner meeting was fruitful as we learned a lot about how the CDC is
transitioning much of its HIV/AIDS work to the Ethiopian government.
Saturday was
a day off for us in Addis. I woke very early (I’m still not quite on East
Africa time); an hour later the pre-dawn calls to prayer began. The Muslim
imams alternate with (or, maybe compete with) the Orthodox priests, both intoning
their messages over loud speakers placed all over the city. I suppose it could
get annoying, being woken at 5 a.m. every single morning, but for me it was a
reminder that I hadn’t prayed much lately. I had a bit of a worshipful hour,
then conked out again and slept until 8.
After a
lovely lunch in the garden of the incongruously opulent Addis Sheraton, the
major highlight Saturday was a visit to the Red Terror Martyr’s Museum in
Meskel Square. Here we learned about the military coup that toppled (and
poisoned) Emperor Haile Selassie and led to the 2 year reign of terror by the
communist Derg. The communist Derg terrorized the Ethiopian population from
1989-1991, a period during which I—and, I bet, none of you—remember hearing a
thing about the genocide occurring in Ethiopia. The Derg, supported by the
Soviet Union, abducted, tortured and murdered more than 500,000 Ethiopian men,
women and children and buried them in mass graves all over the country. The
Derg were ousted only after the collapse of the USSR in 1991. Our guide was a
victim of torture himself, scarred from whippings and burns, who had lost his
older brother and countless friends. There is a room in the museum that depicts
a mass grave and is stacked floor-to-ceiling with skulls and bones only
recently excavated from the graves. It was sobering, sad and shaming to know
that the rest of the world never paid attention to this period—the
perpetrators, though captured, were never tried in the international criminal
court; Mengistu (the general in charge of the Derg) is still alive and well in
Zimbabwe, protected by his fellow despot, Robert Mugabe.
Oh. I almost
forgot about the fish. Two nights ago, we had a delightful dinner at a little
French restaurant, La Mandolline. There, I ordered Nile Perch, sautéed in
garlic butter. I don’t know if that Nile Perch came from the actual Nile River,
but I prefer to believe it did. I admit to having a little hankering for the
exotic, and it seems just that to have my dinner caught in the Nile River. We
will soon see Lake Tana—the source of the Blue Nile—just a few hundred kilometers
north of here, at Bahir Dar.
Our last day
in Addis ended with a thunderstorm and a 6 hour power outage which prompted
several raucous rounds of Bananagrams and a lovely candlelight dinner with the
Teusinks. Many thanks to Tim and Muriel for their hospitality!!
Photos: sisters at Selam Cooperative; Addis Ababa skyline; street fruit stand; Mosque prayer tower; razor wire and broken glass on Teusink's wall; female street cleaner.
Photos: sisters at Selam Cooperative; Addis Ababa skyline; street fruit stand; Mosque prayer tower; razor wire and broken glass on Teusink's wall; female street cleaner.
No comments:
Post a Comment