I believe the group would unanimously agree that we had an
extraordinary day yesterday.
After a quick
tour at Tseda, we were invited to the home of Almaz for a coffee ceremony. Our
bus somehow navigated a very rough dirt/rock track without scraping off the
entire undercarriage, then maneuvered through cattle and goats until our driver
became unsure of where we were headed. A young goatherd knew exactly where we wanted to be and so
he joined us on the bus; from his perch on the front seat, our little GPS-boy directed
us over the hot, overgrazed pastures and through a hedge of massive prickly
pear cactus to Almaz’s home.
Almaz is one of the religious women who works with the
priests at Tseda Health Center
and SCOPE’s Poet Laureate. She and her poem of appreciation are featured in
SCOPE’s video and she was thrilled with the chance to view. All present
expressed a deep commitment to their work with SCOPE and reflected on how
deeply and positively their work with SCOPE has impacted both their attitudes
toward their jobs but also the lives of those in their communities.
I received a private tour of Almaz’s house and was honored
to do so (mostly, I think, she wanted me to take photos of her in her house!)
The most surprising site was next to her home, in a big barn-like structure
built as most structures are here, from eucalytus poles packed and covered with
a mixture of mud, dung and straw. I expected to find goats or chickens but, not
a chance.
Inside, a boom box was nailed to the mud wall and beneath it, an old
but serviceable pool table! The transport of that thing from wherever it came
to Almaz’s property must have been a very interesting challenge (although
yesterday I did see a six-piece dining room set, arranged as if ready for
guests being pulled on a flat-bed, one-horse, cart—so I guess it can be done.) The coffee was strong and rich and sweet, and I’m sure we
all drank too much. But Almaz (and home roasted and brewed Ethiopian coffee) is
very hard to resist. As we were leaving, Almaz brought out the jug of talla, the local Ethiopian homemade beer
made from fermented barley. This is something I could resist, as it was turbid and swimming with pieces of grass,
straw and other unidentifiable floaties and tasted like an alcoholic version of
burnt tobacco. One sip was by far enough….
Dinner this evening was full of talk about what those in our
group are learning about SCOPE and its projects, about the dedication of our
partners at the health centers, the excellent work of SCOPE’s fellows—Anna,
Geta, Adino and Getnet—and about the privilege of being welcomed so warmly by
Aymba and Tseda Health Centers and by Almaz. This trip is definitely not your
run of the mill, guided tour but instead, a very intimate view of the people of
northern Ethiopia ,
their generosity and their needs.
No comments:
Post a Comment