Monday, August 1, 2022

The Indigo Girls

 


Never mind this is a photo from the Gorge, during the Brandi Carlile concert, it’s the Indigo Girls I have on my mind today.

A lot of people, over the years, have made fun of my 32 year unwavering fandom of the Indigo Girls. But I don’t care. They never cease to deliver..

“All the way, all the way, all the way to Nashville 

We talked about God, and the devil. 

Everyone I know can sense Armageddon; we want to believe in something. We’re unsettled. 

My grandfather had a telescope and a magnifying glass.

Through the scope on starry nights I saw forever

And in the morning Texas sun I burned the grass

With my magnifying glass.

Look long. Look long. Look long.

There’s a reason, there’s a reason they call it a ‘Hail Mary,’

It’s all or nothing, on a prayer.

On the brink of loss we take our last shot,

With my shaky faith, we’d still be there.

My grandmother had Apollo Mission glasses

Etched in red, white and blue commemoration.

I’m no AWOL patriot because I dodged your party lines,

I will always love my trouble nation.

This beautiful land.

Look long, look long. Look long.

………………..

So we argue and we wrestle  and we claim conviction

Though we might as well be flipping coins.

More will be revealed when we adjust the focus

On the shortest distance between two points.

Because these aren’t the best of times

And they’re not the worst.

Just like the edge of the earth is an illusion.

God bless our brave little hearts

And our inherent limitations

And our short-sighted plans

And our collusion.

Look long….

There are more lyrics, but that’s enough for here. My goal is to look long. And find there some guidance and meaning while doing so.


2 comments:

  1. Thx for sharing these lyrics, Peg. Really relevant these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Jorie, by the way. I’m not really anonymous! 😜

      Delete