Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Over the Pole and South



Dear all--

Well, here I go again. From Seattle, over the pole to Amsterdam and then south to Nairobi. And what luck!! This time I get to travel below the equator to SUMMER!!! In the middle of a gray, wet, Seattle winter! Just to make you all drool, upon our arrival on Sunday the Nairobi forecast calls for 82 degrees and clear skies.

So many of you have been so generous in your donations to Kristin's 3 projects: the Siyiapei Children's Home, to John Njane and his projects with the widows from Maai Mahui, and to Gideon Ochieng and his education/medical/community development projects in the Nairobi slums (more politically correct and hereafter referred to as: the settlements.) I will be doing the transition dance: hanging out with Kristin for a couple days, then forging out on my own with a team from World Concern/Narok, to collect stories from people/rural communities impacted by World Concern's education and HIV-AIDS programs.

You will hear from Kristin herself very soon. In the meantime please know that as her mother, I am thrilled to travel with her to Kenya. I can't think of a greater privilege than to be asked by my 19 year old daughter to 'help me get settled in.'

There is a lot on our plate in the next few days: choosing the correct and constructive way to support these projects, disbursing your generous donations in appropriate amounts to those various projects, packing our long forgotten summer clothes, arranging rides to and from all sorts of places in rural Kenya (what did we ever do without email??)and just plain getting our head around the fact that in 4 days we will be whisked away from our beloved Seattle and plopped down in our beloved Kenya. It is such a blessing to love two places on earth so deeply.

I will update all of you with the address to Kristin's blog, once she has set it up. She would love for all of you to follow her (and, as her mother--I would ask that you, please, support her by posting comments!)

Thanks to you all for reading now, and as we move forward.

Karibu to our newest Kenya story.

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are posting as you go on this journey. Happy to go along with you vicariously as I really need a trip to Africa right about now :-) give my love to Gidee, Mwix and the kids...especially sweet Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting. I'm thrilled to be reading about your adventures and these places and the great work your family is doing once again. It always makes me feel so grateful, and it makes me want to travel there to help. Travel safely and enjoy. I'm sure the 3 weeks will go fast.

    ReplyDelete