
Meet Graham Muigai, my afternoon chauffer.
(But first, I have to relay a message--we are unable to connect to Safaricom at the Children's Home so these posts are way behind. If I get a chance tomorrow in Narok, I'll post a couple at a time to get you all updated. For now, this is the post I wrote for Friday. Kristin also sends her apologies for not updating her blog--the only place we can get a connection is outside the house we stayed in last time we were here. Across the highway and up the road.)
So, back to Graham.
So, back to Graham.
Yesterday, I had planned to take the matatu from Narok back to Siyiapei, but after standing at the curb for 30 minutes—my laptop slung across my chest and 2 plastic bags full of groceries for Everlyn—2 matatus stopped but wouldn’t drop me in Siyiapei and three full matatus passed me by. It was late Friday afternoon in Narok town and obviously, everyone had somewhere
to go (plus, it turns out, I was waiting in the wrong place. Dumb muzungu . . . )
Then, this young man buzzes up. “Where are you going, madam?” he said. I tell him. “Climb on,” he says. “With these?” I point to the grocery bags. “No problem.” “How much?” “200 shillings.” (If I took a taxi, which I was about to have to do, it would cost 300ks.) “Okay, 200, but I get the helmet,” I say. “No problem.” So, he gives me his helmet and as he ties one grocery bag to his back fender, I discover that, of course, the helmet has a broken chin strap and can’t be fastened. He turns to a fellow piki-piki driver and borrows that guy’s helmet, which is in perfect shape, and fastens it securely under my chin. He helps me on the bike, positions the second grocery bag between me and him and tells me to wrap my arms around his waist very
tightly. Then he pulls on his totally non-functional helmet and off we go.
It was quite a ride, I must tell you. And MUCH more fun than riding in a matatu. He was very cautious (much more cautious than the matatu drivers or the truck drivers, but admittedly, this might be an instinct born of hurtling unprotected down a two-lane Kenyan highway . . . ) He dropped me at the drive of the Children’s Home and introduced himself. He gave me God’s
blessings; I thanked him for the safe ride. On Monday, I’m going to negotiate the price for 5 rides—one every afternoon.
The rest of my day was spent at the World Concern International offices, meeting all the team members and learning about their 3 major projects, the details of which I will tell you in future posts. But, briefly, there are the Economic Development Projects, a collection of Finance Assistance Services in rural communities; the Unconditional Cash Relief project, a joint venture between USAID/World Hunger and World Concern; and the water and sanitation projects (WATSAN) one of which I will visit on Monday
I’ll eventually visit all 3 projects (WATSAN several times,) and I have been asked to write human interest stories—the all-Kenyan staff wants to learn how to write these stories in a way that communicates well and grabs the attention of Americans. This, I believe, I can do. However, the other task they have assigned me is to critique the quarterly and semi-annual project reviews, written by each of the 3 project managers, in one-on-one sessions. Again, they wish to know how to present all their technical and financial facts in a way that communicates well with Americans. What? This, I am not at all sure of, given I have not one iota of experience with project reviews or
fund-raising. Hence, the email to my missionary father-in-law who is the best person I can think of to give me some quick advice on how to make a project review appealing and compelling to American donors. Thanks in advance, Leonard!
to go (plus, it turns out, I was waiting in the wrong place. Dumb muzungu . . . )
Then, this young man buzzes up. “Where are you going, madam?” he said. I tell him. “Climb on,” he says. “With these?” I point to the grocery bags. “No problem.” “How much?” “200 shillings.” (If I took a taxi, which I was about to have to do, it would cost 300ks.) “Okay, 200, but I get the helmet,” I say. “No problem.” So, he gives me his helmet and as he ties one grocery bag to his back fender, I discover that, of course, the helmet has a broken chin strap and can’t be fastened. He turns to a fellow piki-piki driver and borrows that guy’s helmet, which is in perfect shape, and fastens it securely under my chin. He helps me on the bike, positions the second grocery bag between me and him and tells me to wrap my arms around his waist very
tightly. Then he pulls on his totally non-functional helmet and off we go.
It was quite a ride, I must tell you. And MUCH more fun than riding in a matatu. He was very cautious (much more cautious than the matatu drivers or the truck drivers, but admittedly, this might be an instinct born of hurtling unprotected down a two-lane Kenyan highway . . . ) He dropped me at the drive of the Children’s Home and introduced himself. He gave me God’s
blessings; I thanked him for the safe ride. On Monday, I’m going to negotiate the price for 5 rides—one every afternoon.
The rest of my day was spent at the World Concern International offices, meeting all the team members and learning about their 3 major projects, the details of which I will tell you in future posts. But, briefly, there are the Economic Development Projects, a collection of Finance Assistance Services in rural communities; the Unconditional Cash Relief project, a joint venture between USAID/World Hunger and World Concern; and the water and sanitation projects (WATSAN) one of which I will visit on Monday
I’ll eventually visit all 3 projects (WATSAN several times,) and I have been asked to write human interest stories—the all-Kenyan staff wants to learn how to write these stories in a way that communicates well and grabs the attention of Americans. This, I believe, I can do. However, the other task they have assigned me is to critique the quarterly and semi-annual project reviews, written by each of the 3 project managers, in one-on-one sessions. Again, they wish to know how to present all their technical and financial facts in a way that communicates well with Americans. What? This, I am not at all sure of, given I have not one iota of experience with project reviews or
fund-raising. Hence, the email to my missionary father-in-law who is the best person I can think of to give me some quick advice on how to make a project review appealing and compelling to American donors. Thanks in advance, Leonard!

This morning--Saturday a.m.—was laundry day. Here are a few pics of these kids that put our spoiled American brats to shame. These 21 kidshave very little supervision, yet yesterday they all went out and collected firewood (without being bribed) and this a.m. they woke up, scrubbed the
latrines then did their laundry—all before breakfast—without being told. Every weekday a.m., they wake up at 5:30 a.m., make their beds, sweep their dorm floor and are on their way down the road to school by 7:15. I haven’t witnessed a single fight and anything that is given to one is shared with all. It’s pretty darn remarkable.

Get your driver some purple, spangly streamers for those handlebars and you are in. Glad you have regular transport. How is K.?
ReplyDeleteWow. Good luck with the fundraising, and thanks for reminding us back here in the states that our children aren't going to suffer immensely if they don't get the newest electronic gadget and have to actually do some chores. Beautiful pictures.
ReplyDelete