Monday, January 16, 2012

Promise Mshindi Ochieng

Well, since Kristin says she doesn’t have anything to write about yet, I guess I’ll just have to post her photo myself.

I mean, it’s true, today was mostly about jet lag and a 3 a.m. wakening during which I wanted to eat an entire grilled-rare cow and a mongo plate of fried potatoes (or just about anything else,) but hey! This winter-pale Seattle mzungu did manage to get a pretty good burn under the equatorial sun of an 83 degree Nairobi summer day . . . I was a little bummed to miss the ‘great’ Seattle snow dump of 2012, but I guess I’ll get over it. :-)

And, of course, there is Promise Mshindi Ochieng to brag about. All of 2 weeks old and sweet as can be. For those of you waiting for photos of the newest member of Mwix and Gidee’s clan, here he is!



Oh, and for my mom and dad who keep asking about the following situation: YES! Moses and New York native Jaimie are still together! In fact, we spent this afternoon with them at Mwix and Gideon’s house (Sandra and Warren--we passed our greetings to both, on your behalf, and they were so happy to know you guys are thinking about them.) Moses will go to NY in early March to meet Jaimie’s parents and he is hilariously nervous about it.


Interestingly, there happens to be 2 young women here (much to the excitement of Kristin) who I pray will be awesome contacts when Kristin returns to Nairobi March-April. Kailee is a 21 year-old mzungu who lived with Mwix and Gideon for a year. She is now back in Nairobi after spending the holidays home in the states, working with Moses and Jaimie in the Mathare settlement. Kristin met Kailee today and she is just great—hip and chic and smart and funny and beautiful and totally down to earth. The other young’un, Gloria, is Mwix’s 19 year-old niece. Gloria, like Kristin, wasn’t ready for college and so is working with Mwix’s sister, Rose, who runs an NGO (the name of which I now, embarrassingly, forget.) Gloria is working with Rose in Kibera, making home visits, learning how to write social work intakes and helping make decisions about school placements for impoverished youth. Hopefully, Kristin will be able to spend part of the day with Rose and Gloria tomorrow, just to see what it’s all about.

Now. Am I wrong, or did Kristin have something to write about? (Or, maybe I’m just a hopeless blabbermouth mother . . . )


Photos: Kristin and Promise, Mwix and Promise, Promise, Jaimie and Promise

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, he is DARLING!!! Love seeing Mwix with her baby boy...what a gift and symbol of God's faithfulness. Wow, Gloria is 19?! She was all of 8 when I lived there. Guess time has flown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear of your safe arrival, and peaceful reunion day. I'm not positive but I think I read that the Seattle "snow dump" was a bust. Kind of like the green grass on my front lawn here in NH. Enjoy that African heat, and the warmth of her people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely all....glad to hear Kristin has ladies to contact. Also, as always, glad to hear you are there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Tell Kailee Hello! We know her. And we met the adorable Jaimie, although I doubt she would remember. I thought she was Kenyan and couldn't figure out her accent!!;) Did not know she was with Moses! This is great news.
    Promise is too much! He looks 4 months with all that hair!
    I am envious...I confess it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable. And so fun to read about everybody reconnecting and getting settled. I'm glad you're getting some sun and away from the lovely Seattle winter.

    ReplyDelete