Thursday, July 29, 2010

Poultry Moving Day

Well, for those of you have chickens this post will be rather mundane. But, really . . . the fact we were able to cram a big, new chicken coop into this tiny space between John's house and the fence is pretty amazing. And now, John's 10 chickens have plenty of room to lay lots and lots of eggs. The rabbit hutch still needs to be expanded, and the old coop cleaned up and readied for chicks, but hey. We're off to a good start here.

As I might have mentioned in the prior post, John plans to sell the eggs, sell some of the ongoing chicken offspring for meat, and sell the ongoing rabbit offspring for meat--all to help support the five boys he has taken into his home from the streets of Maai Mahiu, and to help support his gritty, grassroots outreach to the widows and orphans of Kijabe Town and Maai Mahiu.



A non-profit to help collect donations for John Njane's outreach, called 'Flow of Hope,' is in the offing. Beth? Holly? Tom? Jess? Any info on this endeavor? If so, let me know. I'd love to post info here!

One more day in Kijabe. Sigh.
Though we're not quite on our way out of East Africa yet, I wonder if I'll ever have the opportunity to return to this part of the world again. Truth is, I pretty much love Kenya--the people, the cultures, the landscapes, the challenges. I always, always miss it all. Even before I am gone.
Photos: John, Brenna, Kristin and the finished coop; John using the universal Kenyan tool; moving chickens; clean food!; happy chickens; Mt. Longonot from John's house.

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible coverage!------and your daughter is beautiful! 3 LKS

    ReplyDelete